[sdlsound] Problems with Rewind and seek

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Thu Dec 12 04:37:17 EST 2002

> So far, I've only gotten this behavior with MP3s. Has
> anybody else experienced this problem, or know what
> the problem might be?

Can you run "playsound --decoders" and see what MP3 decoder is lissted
first? I need to know if this is SMPEG or mpglib.

> For seek, I was wondering if it's possible to use seek
> after you've already predecoded the the sample. I have
> not had any success with this. After the sample has

Don't use anything (except Sound_FreeSample()) on a DecodeAll()'d
sample.

Once you've got such a sample, you can manage all the stuff yourself:
"rewinding"  and "seeking" become a matter of repositioning a memory
pointer.

Trying to further decode a DecodeAll()'d sample should return EOF. Seek
and rewind should probably return an error without changing the sample's
state (and it's probably a bug if they don't).

--ryan.