MIDI support (was: Autoconf working yet?)

Torbjörn Andersson torbjorn.e.andersson at tietoenator.com
Mon Oct 1 02:41:18 EDT 2001

Ryan C. Gordon wrote:

 > Either we will embed the classic Timidity source in SDL_sound, or
 > we'll have to send patches to the Timidity++ folks that seperate out
 > the functionality we need into a shared library, AND get permission to
 > link against SDL_sound/get them to relicense the library parts as
 > LGPL.

I can think of another option, but it's extremely UNIX-centric: Fork off
a process that runs TiMidity[++] with stdin and stdout as input and
output respectively. Connect two pipes to said stdin and stdout and use
them for communication between the two processes.

I have a rough, proof-of-concept version of this, but it doesn't quite
work yet. I think it's ignoring the sample frequency I tell it to use,
but I don't know why. Is this approach worth pursuing?

Torbjörn Andersson