Some FLAC decoder cleanups

Torbjörn Andersson torbjorn.e.andersson at tietoenator.com
Mon Nov 19 12:19:35 EST 2001

Ryan C. Gordon wrote:

 > Cool; it's in CVS. Err...is it an error if a FLAC stream doesn't have
 > any metadata, or are there certain types of metadata that are required
 > in a valid FLAC stream?

According to http://flac.sourceforge.net/format.html (which I didn't
read until just now :-) the STREAMINFO metadata block is mandatory in a
FLAC file. The other kinds are not. STREAMINFO is the one I check for.

Further reading of that document reveals that it ought to be possible
for a decoder to start decoding at any given frame since each of them
should have rate / sample size / channels encoded in its header. Hmm...
I wonder if SDL_sound should be able to handle that. There won't be much
to identify the data as FLAC then, so it would be only in the case where
the caller specifies the type of data...

I certainly hope this doesn't mean there are FLAC streams where the
sample format changes halfway through...

Torbjörn