[referencer] Referencer reports <class 'xml.parsers.expat.ExpatError'> when quering ISI

Mads Chr. Olesen mads at mchro.dk
Mon Sep 26 07:25:09 EDT 2011

tor, 22 09 2011 kl. 09:11 +0200, skrev Stefan Bucher:
> After that I tried to retreive metadate explicitly from ISI by
> clicking
> the respective button in icon bar. The answer was (translated from
> german):
>         ____________________________
>         Exception: <class 'xml.parsers.expat.ExpatError'>
>
>         Module: isi-plugin
>         Explanation: no element found: line 1, column 0
>         _____________________________

Information retrieval is done using a number of Python plugins. The ISI
plugin you have is not included in the main branch of Referencer, but is
only in the Debian/Ubuntu package. It seems this script is broken,
because the ISI server has changed something. I get this response from
the server, when running it:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<RESPONSE>
  <ERROR code="Server.invalidInput">Invalid service name: null</ERROR>
</RESPONSE>

> The for curiosity I clicked on the Lyx button. Answer there
> (translated
> from german):
>         __________________________________________
>         Exception: <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>
>
>         Module: lyx
>         Explanation: exceptions must be old-style classes or derived
> from
>         BaseException, not str
>         __________________________________________
>
> Terminal output was:
>         __________________________________________
>         virtual bool PythonPlugin::doAction(Glib::ustring,
>         std::vector<Document*>):
>          PythonPlugin::doAction: NULL return value
>         __________________________________________

This is a bug in the LyX plugin. I'm not really familiar with it, since
I don't use it.

> Oh, and btw I have this bug
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/referencer/+bug/494684 too. Yet, I don't
> know
> how to install the code provided as a patch in that post. I'm just an
> ordinary user --> I would need some explanation on how to install such
> a patch.

We really should get a new version released, there are many fixes and
updates on the launchpad trunk.

--
Mads Chr. Olesen <mads at mchro.dk>