[referencer] Question on the project's focus

Mads Chr. Olesen mads at mchro.dk
Wed Nov 9 14:13:30 EST 2011

ons, 09 11 2011 kl. 14:05 -0500, skrev David Dombrowsky:
> I personally use the app simply to organize files, specifically scans
> of bills and other documents that come in through snail mail.
> Referencer gives me a simple way of tagging and adding metadata to
> existing files.  While the app seems well suited for this, I don't
> think it was written with this use case in mind.  Am I correct in
> assuming this?

Yes, Referencer is definitely oriented towards (scientific) document
management and managing bibliographies.

> Is there something else out there better suited for
> this use case?

There is some support for tagging files with icons in the Nautilus file
manager, but as far as I know this is purely graphical so no
searching/filtering is available. The Zeitgeist project is working
generally with harvesting/using metadata for files, but I'm much less
familiar with it.

--
Mads Chr. Olesen <mads at mchro.dk>