[referencer] Basic question

Glen Shennan glen.shennan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 08:31:13 EDT 2011

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  I was told earlier to build the source with
./autogen.sh && make which worked (or seemed to).  Now I'm trying to work
out what that script is doing, which is calling gnome-autogen.sh which in
turns does something with config.in and m4/python.m4.  Unfortunately
gnome-autogen.sh and python.m4 are long and look complicated and I have no
idea what an m4 macro is anyway so what is going on here is confusing me a
bit.  I guess I'm just not sure what's happening in the ./configure and make
steps, I'm from DOS so a command like make with no arguments is not natural
to me.  If the whole thing is complicated I guess I'm just looking for a
good source for documentation; I'm making my way through the relevant
sections of the gnome documentation library but the m4 macro home page is
gibberish to me at the moment.  "Expanding macros" is not yet in my
vocabulary and I'm wondering if there's a way to learn what's going on in
this process without reading to much bash script (which I'm also still
learning) since I don't think it's too relevant to referencer itself.

Cheers,
Glen