OT: Mendeley

John Spray jcspray at icculus.org
Wed Jan 7 16:29:42 EST 2009

Dear all,

I've recently become aware of a London startup developing a product with
some features in common with Referencer.  I'd encourage anybody interested
to check it out at http://www.mendeley.com

Further, they're currently hiring, which I thought was worth publicising
here in case any of you are interested: see below.

Cheers,
John
*
---

Job Offer: Software Engineer (Central London, UK)*

Mendeley (http://www.mendeley.com) is developing social software and Web 2.0
tools to transform the way science is done. Our vision is to create a
"Last.fm for Research". We're funded by and working with some of the people
who built *Skype *and *Last.fm*, as well as prominent academics from
world-class universities.

Mendeley consists of two parts: Mendeley Desktop, free cross-platform
software (Win, Mac, Linux) for managing and sharing research papers, and
Mendeley Web, a website for managing research papers online, discovering
research trends and connecting to like-minded academics. If you want to be
part of it, here's your chance: We're currently *looking for a talented
Software Engineer *to join our Mendeley Desktop team!

*What you'll be doing:*

   - Conceptualize, design and implement front- and backend software
   components
   - Code using primarily C++ in a Qt Framework
   - Conduct design and code reviews
   - Improve efficiency, scalability, and stability of various system
   resources
   - Shape Mendeley with your own ideas, enthusiasm and personality

*What you should ideally bring:*

   - Computer Science or Engineering degree
   - Expert knowledge developing and debugging in C++
   - Good experience working with Qt or similar toolkits
   - Knowledge developing for Windows and/or Mac

*What we offer:*

   - Work on a project that will make researchers' and scientists' lives
   happier
   - A fun and exciting start-up environment with a bright young team guided
   by experienced entrepreneurs
   - Competitive compensation package including company stock options

Even if you don't have all the qualities listed above, but think the
projects you've done speak for themselves – we'll be happy to get to know
you!

Send your CV and application letter to: jobs at mendeley.com

Looking forward to meeting you!
The Mendeley Team