[referencer] Referencer vs. Mendeley

Gour gour at gour-nitai.com
Wed Aug 12 06:30:36 EDT 2009

>>>>> "John" == John Spray <jcspray at gmail.com> writes:

John> The main difference you'll find with Mendeley is that it has a web
John> backend which (I think) stores your library info centrally and
John> allows you to do last.fm-style statistics on which papers are
John> similar to others.

Hmm, that's not so important in my case...

John> I think Mendeley might also have better brute-force metadata
John> scraping on PDFs which don't have document IDs, but I don't really
John> know.

I see that's tagged as 'started' on their feedback system and on the top
with 359 votes and labelled as 'Improve quality of automatic metadata
extraction'.

Interestingly enough, 2nd place with 350 votes, tagged as 'planned' is
'LaTeX integration in Mendeley Desktop', and 5th place with 266 votes is
'to publish your desktop under GPL license.'

John> But I haven't used them side by side for some time, so comments
John> from anyone who has might be more helpful...

Thank you...

It looks that for now, there are not many compelling features in MD to
replace Referencer.

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour | Hlapičina, Croatia  | GPG key: F96FF5F6