[referencer] Referencer vs. Mendeley

Gour gour at gour-nitai.com
Wed Aug 12 01:41:08 EDT 2009

Hi!

I 'discovered' Referencer yesterday after exchanging some email with a
friend who uses Biblioscape and told me it would be one reason to keep
Windoze (he is buying Mac).

Since I've to resume my studies I was researching if there is something
new in Linux arena (in the past I was using tkbibtex & pybliographer
with LyX and was playing with RefDB). There is, of course, JabRef but I
cannot use it due to the bug when running under Xmonad WM.

Then, I stumbled upon Referencer and, so far, I like it a lot!!!
Congratulations to all devs working on it.

Since I tinker with Python (for Django), maybe there will be possibility
to write some plugin.

However, I've noticed in list's archive about Mendeley and wonder if
some more experienced user can tell me what would be main differences
between the two (I also recommended Mendeley Desktop to my Win-friend)
or if the two are heading into some direction, is there anything missing
in Referencer to bring it on par with Mendeley?

Personally, I prefer Referencer's GUI (as well as toolkit), along with
its license. :-)

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour | Hlapičina, Croatia  | GPG key: F96FF5F6