[referencer] Text editing in Referencer

Charlotte Curtis c.f.curtis at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 13:51:28 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 12:19 PM, John Spray <jcspray at icculus.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 16:51 +0200, Kremena Diatchka wrote:
> > I just started using Referencer, and one of the features I like is
> > being able to write notes for my papers. However, I often like to use
> > colors/bold text, etc for my notes. I have scanned the menus and the
> > FAQ section on the website, but have not found a way to do this. Is
> > there an easy way to do this that I am missing?
>
> Nope, it's just plain text.  The annotation support was done by
> Charlotte Curtis (CC'd), you might see if she can be persuaded to
> beautify it a bit.
>
> John

Hi Kremena,

That annotation support was a dirty hack that I did a few months ago
and then promptly ignored.  There's a lot of things about it that
could (and should) be changed, and rich text is a good idea.  Right
now, a workaround (albeit not very pretty) might be to use html tags,
and then if you export your notes as html, they should come out with
the right formatting (the exporter is another thing I've meant to
improve...).  However, when you look at stuff in referencer all you'll
see is the html tags, which obviously isn't ideal.

I will try to find some time in the next couple of weeks to work on
various neglected programming projects, and this is one of them.  I'm
glad to hear that someone actually uses the notes feature, it
definitely gives me more incentive to take a look at it.
Charlotte