[referencer] about pubmed plugin

John Spray jcspray at icculus.org
Mon Mar 24 12:22:47 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 17:09 +0100, Aurélien Naldi wrote:
> Exception: <type 'exceptions.UnicodeDecodeError'>
> Explication: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 1:
> ordinal not in range(128)
>

> The following fixes it for me, I hope it doesn't create any other kind
> of problem...
>

> 	print "DOI ", query, " has PubMed ID ", id
>
> -	return get_citation_from_pmid (id)
> +	return get_citation_from_pmid (id.encode("utf-8"))

That's pretty strange: the pmid is just a number, so utf-8 and ascii
would have the same representation.  Which implies that minidom was
giving us something other than either of those.  Your system isn't
configured for something crazy like UTF-16 is it?

The python stuff is potentially rife with encoding stuff that I haven't
thought about.  One of the pitfalls of being English: ASCII was enough
for us! ;-)

John