[referencer] Re: Plugin for fetching data from Isi-WebOfScience

Mario Castro mariocastro73 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 19:22:30 EDT 2008

Hi all

I've seen this comment in isi web of science (trrough google,of course :-) )

*****************

*Web of Science* – External Links

After working out and implementing the various internal links that provide
useful navigation for *Web of Science* users, the next natural step was to
explore the potential for establishing links to data external to ISI
products. Before proceeding, we conducted extensive research into the
potential of various standard identifiers that might aid in this venture.
Each of the candidates (Digital Object Identifier [DOI <http://www.doi.org/>],
Serial Item and Contribution Identifier [SICI – NISO Z39.56 1996], and
Publisher Item Identifier [PII]) was found to be lacking for various reasons
that will not be expanded on in this forum. The decision was made to use
internal keys to move ahead with links. With the understanding that we might
come back later and reconsider this stance, we felt most comfortable
initially with our ability to create external links based on the same
identifiers that have worked so well for our internal links.

So It seems that isi does not support doi as a key index. Bad news.

However, I've been working around with my plugin and it's pretty useful in
some cases. For instance, you can drag and drop a pdf for an old article
(hence without doi) and write manually some words from the title, the year
and the first author. Then clickin in the plugin button.....you obtain the
rest of the information as desired.