[referencer] Re: Plugin for fetching data from Isi-WebOfScience

Mario Castro mariocastro73 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 07:43:05 EST 2008

> first off, a Web of Science plugin is wonderful!

Thanks, but it still needs to be improved

> The way you included it inline seems to have introduced some spurious
> extra line wrappings.  It is probably better to attach it or put it up
> somewhere on the web for people to grab it.

I don't know how to attach it, but here I try it again gzipped.

> I tried to fix the line wrapping, but all I get when I select a
> reference and click on the plugin icon is this on the console:
>
> Waiting...
> openCB: result not OK
>
> (referencer:16260): libgnomevfsmm-WARNING **: gnome-vfsmm
> Async::Handle::cancel(): This method currently leaks memory.
> waitForFlag completed due to transferfail
> referencer_download: got 0 characters
> PythonPlugin::doAction: NULL return value
>
> And a popup saying
>
> "Exception: xml.parsers.expat.ExpatError
>
> Module: web-of-science
> Explanation: no element found: line 1, column 0"

This may be due to the copy and paste process. Try with the one attached to
this message

> >     url='
> >
> http://estipub.isiknowledge.com/esti/cgi?databaseID=WlOS&SID=Q1mNFhCECOk6c8aELLh&rspType=xml&method=searchRetrieve&firstRec=1&numRecs=1&query=TI'+ti+'&PY'+ye+'&AU'+au<http://estipub.isiknowledge.com/esti/cgi?databaseID=WOS&SID=Q1mNFhCECOk6c8aELLh&rspType=xml&method=searchRetrieve&firstRec=1&numRecs=1&query=TI%27+ti+%27&PY%27+ye+%27&AU%27+au>
>
> I wonder, the above URL looks like a session id, can this work for
> anybody else than you?

That number should be random, but I have founded that after the query that
number is changed by the server, so it is irrelevant.

Note that you need a subscription to isi-wos in order to get this plugin
work. This is automatic if your ip belongs to the range of your university.
However, I have checked that if you configure the proxy options in
referencer works perfectly with my plugin.

Hope this helps