[referencer] Ideas for the Tagging UI

Frederik Elwert frederik.elwert at web.de
Fri Mar 7 18:02:08 EST 2008

Am Freitag, den 07.03.2008, 17:56 +0100 schrieb Jochen Martin Eppler:
> What do you think about the following features?
>
> * Allow dragging tags on documents
> * Allow dragging documents on tags
> * Add an entry to the contect menu to add/remove tags
>
> I thought about implementing them...

That sounds reasonable! Would make things quite easy.

I also keep thinking about the tag thing. I have an idea on my mind for
some time now, and I'd think this might be a opportunity to share it:
Dynamic tag hierarchies. Currently, if you select more than one tag in
referencer, it performs an "AND" selection. But it is possible (and
quite likely) to select two tags that have no common documents and thus
has an empty result set.

So it would be nice to easily show the tags that do have documents in
common with the currently selected. This can easily be achieved using
dynamic tree structure. Since this is hard to describe and easy to show,
I prototyped it using a simple Python class and a PyGTK TreeView. Please
have a look at the (ultra-preliminary) example source files attached if
you want to get an idea how it could work.

I am currently experimenting with integrating this into Pybliographer's
GUI, but maybe referencer could benefit from it, too.

Cheers,
Frederik