[referencer] Preliminary medline support (first python plugin)

Aurélien Naldi aurelien.naldi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 14:44:36 EST 2008

Le mardi 01 janvier 2008 à 14:16 +0000, John Spray a écrit :
> > It looks like the new metadata plugin system is fully functionnal now.
> > I just have one complain with the two-tabbed pref dialog: you could use
> > one single tab by removing the proxy config (puttng a button to launch
> > the corresponding capplet)
>
> Assuming a gnome-control-center installation isn't acceptable (KDE users
> hate me enough already).  The proxy configuration stuff could also be
> needed on various other platforms in the dim and distant future.

I dunno what kde/xfce/enlightenment/other do, but if you really want to
be desktop agnostic, you can just use the "http_proxy" and friends env
variables. At least under gnome they are set properly, I guess that kde
does it as well. If it doesn't, it should anyway, to make sure that
console applications keep working.
Duplicating proxy configuration (even if it is only it's GUI) is a bad
idea IMHO (and one of the reason why I use epiphany instead of
firefox...). Duplicating it and trying to support several desktop will
make your life harder and in many case not improve significantly this of
your users, unless you use the good old accepted UNIX stuff ;)
Then, supporting windows/mac becomes harder :/ Speaking of this, do you
know if referencer works with them ?

If you really want to show something up, you can have a button launching
whatever configuration tool correspond to the detected desktop (starting
with gnome seems natural, KDE would be nice, and putting a comment if
you don't support the desktop used by the user: whoever uses something
else than gnome/kde is likely to be able to set en env variable or to
discover by himself the approriate configuration tool.

> > and adding a "currently-selected-plugin" pref
> > panel bellow the plugin list.
>
> Line 8 in TODO.

Great. Seeing the number of changes commited during the last two weeks I
can hardly complain anyway ;)

Regards

--
Aurélien Naldi <aurelien.naldi at gmail.com>