[referencer] Preliminary medline support (first python plugin)

Aurélien Naldi aurelien.naldi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 08:07:59 EST 2008

Le dimanche 23 décembre 2007 à 12:28 +0000, John Spray a écrit :
> On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 09:37 +0100, Aurélien Naldi wrote:
> > I don't have much to look at the code right now, but the addition of a
> > python plugin system looks like a great news to me. Is it limited to
> > metadata fetching ? Do you have any kind of great plan for it in mind ?
>
> There are always ideas, but saying I had a great plan would imply some
> kind of commitment to implement it.  Plugins for other areas such as
> web-linking would be nice.  Frankly I'd rather write any new code in
> python than C++, but there's no way I'm re-doing the whole thing in
> python.
>
> Anyway, I've committed a bunch of new stuff including fixes to the
> problems you had, so give it another go.
>
> John

Hi,

Best wishes to all of you for the new year.

My problems where fixed before I left for xmas, thanks.
I just did a checkout on my home computer. You made an awesome work
during the break, I hope that 2008 will see a great release of
referencer ;)

I still have some problems getting some metadata. It may be just that my
home network access is flacky right now, but it works for other papers
and fails reliably for some others... Can you check if you get metadata
properly from pubmed for these doi ?

10.1016/S0022-5193(03)00201-7      this one is not found manually
10.1093/bioinformatics/bti1130     this one is on pubmed
10.1016/j.biosystems.2005.10.002   this one is found but not filled
(authors and title are).

The updated views works fine for me, the icon view is a bit weird at
first, but I like it.

It looks like the new metadata plugin system is fully functionnal now.
I just have one complain with the two-tabbed pref dialog: you could use
one single tab by removing the proxy config (puttng a button to launch
the corresponding capplet) and adding a "currently-selected-plugin" pref
panel bellow the plugin list.

Thanks again for your work, referencer will make my life much easier
now!

Best regards

--
Aurélien Naldi <aurelien.naldi at gmail.com>