Which metadata is more intersting?

Leonardo F. Fontenelle leonardof at gnome.org
Sat Dec 13 08:08:51 EST 2008

This email is about the SciELO plugin I'm writing, but this time I'm
looking at the Referencer users, not developers, for suggestions about a
few dilemmas.

For what it's worth, SciELO is a scientific organization from Latin
America and the Caribbean region, providing free access to the full
content of regional high quality scientific journals, specially in the
health and IT fields. Metadata is always available in English and (IIRC)
at least one of Portuguese or Spanish.

1. SciELO provides both the abbreviated and the full journal names.
Currently Referencer will take only one of them as the journal name.
Which one should the plugin retrieve?

2. SciELO has a category "contributors", of which "authors" is a subset.
I believe that in articles there'll be only authors, but as implied by
the data structure, someday there might be a contributor which is an
editor, or a compilation organizer. Again, Referencer doesn't make any
distinction between authors and other contributors; should the plugin
retrieve all contributors, or just the authors?

3. SciELO provides both the printed and the electronic publication data.
Which one should the plugin retrieve as "pubdate"?
--
Leonardo Fontenelle
http://leonardof.org