[referencer] Ubuntu (and others) dropping python-xml

Frederik Elwert frederik.elwert at web.de
Tue Apr 15 14:51:13 EDT 2008

Hi!

Am Dienstag, den 15.04.2008, 10:00 -0400 schrieb jcspray at icculus.org:
> Quoting Andreas Wagner <A.Wagner at stud.uni-frankfurt.de>:
> > In short, they are going to drop python-xml from the distribution and
> > recommend to either drop python-xml as an explicit build dependency and
> > rely on the core python package which by now includes much of the
> > functionality, or use python-lxml (,or finally to include the needed
> > functionality with your own package, but I'm not sure I got that right).
>

> So it seems that minidom is included in python 2.5?  In that case it's
> simply a case of removing the dependency for python >= 2.5.

As far as I can tell, minidom is included in Python since 2.0. And since
2.5, Python contains the new ElementTree API, which lxml also uses and
extends. Those are a really innovative, easy way to handle XML, but if
you just want to go with minidom, you should be able to use the one from
python instead of the one from python-xml.

Cheers,
Frederik