[referencer] SPIRES interface and tag-suggestion

jcspray at icculus.org jcspray at icculus.org
Tue Oct 30 09:21:34 EDT 2007

Quoting sebastian guttenberg <guttenb at inp.demokritos.gr>:
> I still don't know about such an interface, but I have found a script
> that generates a BiBTeX-file to a LaTeX file, where one only has to
> provide the preprint-numbers. It is called findbib. See
> ftp://cam.ctan.org/tex-archive/biblio/bibtex/utils/findbib/README

Okay, they seem to be munging it out of the SPIRES web search
interface so at least it's possible.  Seems fairly straightforward.

> - My second comment is about the tags. I hoped that marking two tags at
> the same time would lead to an intesection of the results for each
> single tag. Instead it leads to the sum, which I find very unfortunate.
> Let me explain why I think that the first would be much more useful.
> Suppose I am interested in finding an article which has either the tag
> "important" or "interesting", but I cannot really remember. In this
> case, I can use the tool as it is at the moment and mark both tags. But
> that does not really help, because I have to look through all of
> "important" and all of "interesting" anyway, because both are now
> displayed.

I had vaguely intended to make it an option whether to do AND or OR,
but now that I'm clearly not getting around to that it's probably more
generally useful to make it AND.  Will probs get around to it soon.

> Related to that: at the moment, it is only possible to mark tags with
> shift-cursor, which are directly next to each other in the list. There
> is no possibility to mark in addition others with the common
> ctrl-Mouseclick , which is also a pity (the same is true for the files
> themselves).

I'm not seeing that behaviour: control-button1 is working for me to
toggle selection of individual documents and tags.  Are we talking
about something different?

> P.S.: I am now confused what you meant with 'filing the pdf-file as a
> bug'. I did not find a possibility to attach pdf-files to a bug report.
> Or did I misunderstand s.th.?

You generally have to file a bug report and then add a comment with
the attachment.

Cheers,
John