[referencer] 3 questions

John Spray jcspray at icculus.org
Mon Oct 29 16:16:16 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 21:55 +0200, sebastian guttenberg wrote:
> 1. Importing my BibTex file does not import the eprint-entry. Therefore
> there is no Web-Link available after the import. Adding this by hand for
> all the BibTex-entries would be a lot of work...
> Also any other 'extra field' is not imported, although referencer
> clearly has the possibility to add extra fields...

If you send me the bibtex file in question (or even better file it as a
bug) I can take a look.

> 2. For the adding of a local pdf-file, this behaviour is completely
> different: there the extra field eprint is correctly added, but instead
> I get no information on the journal, where the article is published.

If you send me the pdf file in question (or even better file it as a
bug) I can take a look.

> 3. This point is probably related to point 2. As I am working in high
> energy physics, I usually use the information provided from SPIRES HEP
> ( http://www.slac.stanford.edu/spires/ ) to generate my BibTeX files.
> This also assigns certain reference Labels to the entries which are not
> consistent with the ones that are provided by crossref.org .
> Is there a way to change the source from crossref.org to SPIRES? In
> particular I have no idea how to find the DOI's of my documents...
> (relation to point 2: I think, the information on crossref.org about the
> papers is simply incomplete, while on SPIRES it includes the journal)

I'm not sure what interfaces SPIRES provides for applications.  Do you
know?  In the future, I'd like to have a general plugin system to
support various backends.  At present, only crossref OpenURL and
arxiv.org bibtex are there.

> 4. This seems to me like a bug:
> Strange, however, that I didn't find it in the reports, although it
> seems so obvious:
> In the 'list-view', the column for the title is extremely large and
> there is no way to make it smaller. Attempts to do so sometimes result
> in an even bigger column.
> Also, there are only four columns visible, and the one for the e.g. the
> journal (if it exists?) is not visible and thus one cannot sort with
> respect to the journal.

The list view is somewhat rough around the edges.  I wrote "ListView
users are people too" in the TODO so nobody can accuse me of not caring.

> 5. Last but not least. Is there a possibility to change the pdf-viewer
> from evince to a different one? I would like to use some editing tools
> which are not present in evince.

Referencer uses whichever application is associated with pdfs in the
gnome environment.  You can change that in gnome by right clicking on a
pdf file and opening properties->open with, I don't know about other
desktop environments.  Actually I must admit this bugs me too, since
sometimes I want to open something with acrobat instead of evince.  I am
pining for an "Open with..." option.

> Sorry for so many complaints. I was simply very excited when I
> discovered the program, but then I figured out that I can make only very
> limited use of it, if the above problems are not fixed.
> Thanks for any answers! Sebastian

Feedback always welcome.

John