3 questions

sebastian guttenberg guttenb at inp.demokritos.gr
Mon Oct 29 15:55:55 EDT 2007

Hi, today I discovered this great program referencer, which is exactly
what I was looking for, but I have five severe problems:

1. Importing my BibTex file does not import the eprint-entry. Therefore
there is no Web-Link available after the import. Adding this by hand for
all the BibTex-entries would be a lot of work...
Also any other 'extra field' is not imported, although referencer
clearly has the possibility to add extra fields...

2. For the adding of a local pdf-file, this behaviour is completely
different: there the extra field eprint is correctly added, but instead
I get no information on the journal, where the article is published.

3. This point is probably related to point 2. As I am working in high
energy physics, I usually use the information provided from SPIRES HEP
( http://www.slac.stanford.edu/spires/ ) to generate my BibTeX files.
This also assigns certain reference Labels to the entries which are not
consistent with the ones that are provided by crossref.org .
Is there a way to change the source from crossref.org to SPIRES? In
particular I have no idea how to find the DOI's of my documents...
(relation to point 2: I think, the information on crossref.org about the
papers is simply incomplete, while on SPIRES it includes the journal)

4. This seems to me like a bug:
Strange, however, that I didn't find it in the reports, although it
seems so obvious:
In the 'list-view', the column for the title is extremely large and
there is no way to make it smaller. Attempts to do so sometimes result
in an even bigger column.
Also, there are only four columns visible, and the one for the e.g. the
journal (if it exists?) is not visible and thus one cannot sort with
respect to the journal.

5. Last but not least. Is there a possibility to change the pdf-viewer
from evince to a different one? I would like to use some editing tools
which are not present in evince.

Sorry for so many complaints. I was simply very excited when I
discovered the program, but then I figured out that I can make only very
limited use of it, if the above problems are not fixed.
Thanks for any answers! Sebastian

P.S.: I am using Ubuntu Feisty Fawn, and there the referencer version
1.0.4 (32 bits)

believed to be clean.