[referencer] SPIRES interface and tag-suggestion

Kevin Goldstein billnaai at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 15:49:01 EDT 2007

> >> Okay, they seem to be munging it out of the SPIRES web search
> >> interface so at least it's possible.  Seems fairly straightforward.
> >>

> > I've been maintaining the findbib script - its a bit of a bash hack
> > but it does what I need.
> >
> > You might find the following python script:
> >
> > http://www.stringwiki.org/wiki/SPIRES_script
> >
> > easier to mould to your needs.
>
> Interesting, thanks for the pointer.  Currently papers with arxiv
> eprint numbers are getting looked up on citebase[1] by referencer,
> is the SPIREs server likely to provide more/different information?
> Sebastian's original issue was that volume/number fields weren't
> being provided but I've since fixed that with the citebase code.

Hmmmm...

Maybe not for automatically getting bibliographic information for papers.

The SPIRES data base includes (mainly high energy) papers which
preceed the arxiv but I'm not sure how you could  easily use it.

You can for example look up papers based on various institutional
preprint codes which predate the arxiv. There are such a huge number
of these codes though...

It might be nice to be able to automatically import a SPIRES search as
a bibliography into referencer since there are a lot of was to search
SPIRES:

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/spires/hep/help/

On of the most useful thing about SPIRES is being able to search the
papers referenced or cited by a paper.

On the other hands its only takes a few clicks (or a relatively simple
script) to  save the results of a SPIRES search as a Bibtex file and
then import it into referencer.

-kevin