[referencer] SPIRES interface and tag-suggestion

John Spray jcspray at icculus.org
Thu Nov 1 07:08:05 EDT 2007

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, Kevin Goldstein wrote:

>> Quoting sebastian guttenberg <guttenb at inp.demokritos.gr>:
>>> I still don't know about such an interface, but I have found a script
>>> that generates a BiBTeX-file to a LaTeX file, where one only has to
>>> provide the preprint-numbers. It is called findbib. See
>>> ftp://cam.ctan.org/tex-archive/biblio/bibtex/utils/findbib/README
>>
>> Okay, they seem to be munging it out of the SPIRES web search
>> interface so at least it's possible.  Seems fairly straightforward.
>>

> I've been maintaining the findbib script - its a bit of a bash hack
> but it does what I need.
>
> You might find the following python script:
>
> http://www.stringwiki.org/wiki/SPIRES_script
>
> easier to mould to your needs.

Interesting, thanks for the pointer.  Currently papers with arxiv
eprint numbers are getting looked up on citebase[1] by referencer,
is the SPIREs server likely to provide more/different information?
Sebastian's original issue was that volume/number fields weren't
being provided but I've since fixed that with the citebase code.

John

[1] Which uses the UK arxiv mmirror as a datasource