Translation and Keywords-to-Tags conversion

Frederik Elwert frederik.elwert at web.de
Fri May 25 06:10:15 EDT 2007

Hello!

I'm just checking out referencer to see if it satisfies my needs better
than my current bibliographical tool (pybliographer).

Since Referencer doesn't ship with a German translation, I made one
(with the Italian mo-file as a template). I didn't find all the strings
in that file, but I hope it's useful anyway, there are only few
missings. What's the best way to get a recent pot-file? I'd complete my
translation if needed.

Until now, I added a Keywords field to my BibTeX entries to have some
kind of tag support. That pybliographer doesn't support tags directly
was the main reason for me to look for alternatives. Since the Keywords
don't get converted into Tags during import, I wrote a little python
script that takes a freshly imported reflib-file and adds tags according
to the (space-separated) Keywords-list. I don't know if this is useful
for anybody else, but now that I wrote it, I can share it anyway.

I have around 150 tags, since I used keywords quite a lot to structure
my bibliography. This might be quite much and not really what tagging in
referencer was made for. But I'd like to share some ideas that would
make dealing with tags in referencer much easier for me. I don't know if
it would help other people, too, so maybe this is just not the scope for
referencer.

      * Alphabetic ordering of tags. Scrolling through a list of 150
        tags is really horror when there is no ordering at all.
      * Text-field for adding tags to a document. I'd really like the
        preferences dialogue for a document to have a simple text field
        into which I can type the appropriate tags as a comma-separated
        list. When dealing with many tags, this is much easier for
        frequently used tags then searching the list.
      * Ad-hoc hierarchy in tag list. This is quite a big feature
        request, but a really useful feature, I think. Some applications
        that support tags (like ccmixter.org) allow selecting more then
        one tag to refine the selection (currently referencer behaves
        opposite: When you select several tags, it performs a OR search,
        not an AND search). Additionally, only tags that appear together
        with the selected tag(s) are shown.
        In a desktop app like Referencer, this maybe could be achieved
        as an ad-hoc tree-view. Tags should be expandable and show tags
        that exist together with them as children. A bibliographical
        tool that I once used hat a feature similar to this, and I
        really liked it:
        http://www.winload.de/bilder/screenshots/47365/Bibliographix.gif

This were just my first impressions using referencer, and I hope I
didn't bore you too much...

Cheers,
Frederik