[referencer] ANNOUNCE: Referencer 1.0.3

Brice Goglin Brice.Goglin at ens-lyon.org
Sat May 19 12:27:27 EDT 2007

John Spray wrote:
> I compiled the problems that you reported into the attached bibtex file
> for testing.  Unfortunately, I was unable to reproduce the -- or '
> problems.  I believe the reason we're getting different results is the
> difference in locale -- mine is using UTF-8 encoding systemwide, I
> suspect yours is not.  It's still a valid bug, I'm just not sure how to
> reproduce it to fix it, since on my (ubuntu) system all the various
> international locales seem to be in UTF-8 as well.

Yes, my locale settings are:
$ locale
LANG=
LC_CTYPE=fr_FR at euro
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME=fr_FR at euro
LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_PAPER="POSIX"
LC_NAME="POSIX"
LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
LC_ALL=

$ locale -a
POSIX
en_US
en_US.iso88591
en_US.iso885915
en_US.utf8
[...]

If I set LC_CTYPE to "en_US.utf8", import now works! If I change it to
LC_CTYPE=en_US, import does not work anymore.

Can you compile the en_US locale on your ubuntu (with dpkg-reconfigure
locales) and reproduce my problem by setting LC_CTYPE to en_US?

> As a workaround, I would suggest trying the new "paste bibtex" feature
> which will be in 1.0.4, and is already in subversion.  This circumvents
> a lot of character encoding uncertaining associated with reading from
> files.

I'll try compiling in the near future.

> To get more of a clue as to what's going wrong, I would appreciate if
> you could obtain bibutils[1] version 3.31, try running the attached
> bibtex files through bib2xml, and send the output back to the list.
> brice.bib is in UTF-8, brice-latin1 is in iso-8859-1.  Assuming your
> mail client doesn't mangle them, the difference may be instructive.

The outputs are attached.

> I was able to reproduce the \null issue, this is a bug in bibutils which
> I have forwarded upstream to the bibutils maintainer.

Thanks!
Brice