[referencer] ANNOUNCE: Referencer 1.0.3

John Spray jcspray at icculus.org
Wed May 16 18:04:12 EDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 23:55 +0200, Brice Goglin wrote:
> I am still having problems importing an existing bibtex file when it
> contains a double-dash or a quote as reported in [1]. Is there a good
> chance this get fixed soon? I am disappointed of not being able to use
> referencer for my work :(

I compiled the problems that you reported into the attached bibtex file
for testing.  Unfortunately, I was unable to reproduce the -- or '
problems.  I believe the reason we're getting different results is the
difference in locale -- mine is using UTF-8 encoding systemwide, I
suspect yours is not.  It's still a valid bug, I'm just not sure how to
reproduce it to fix it, since on my (ubuntu) system all the various
international locales seem to be in UTF-8 as well.

As a workaround, I would suggest trying the new "paste bibtex" feature
which will be in 1.0.4, and is already in subversion.  This circumvents
a lot of character encoding uncertaining associated with reading from
files.

To get more of a clue as to what's going wrong, I would appreciate if
you could obtain bibutils[1] version 3.31, try running the attached
bibtex files through bib2xml, and send the output back to the list.
brice.bib is in UTF-8, brice-latin1 is in iso-8859-1.  Assuming your
mail client doesn't mangle them, the difference may be instructive.

I was able to reproduce the \null issue, this is a bug in bibutils which
I have forwarded upstream to the bibutils maintainer.

I hope we can make some progress with this soon.

Regards,
John

1. http://www.scripps.edu/~cdputnam/software/bibutils/