[referencer] Cosmetic fix for file dialogue hiding

John Spray jcspray at icculus.org
Tue Mar 20 19:44:18 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 08:19 +1000, Kai Willadsen wrote:
> Updated patch attached.

Fine, I've committed it.

> It's just the aesthetic. While importing a large-ish directory of
> PDFs, I have *four* windows open most of the time: the main referencer
> window, the file chooser, the progress dialogue for the directory, and
> the temporary progress dialogue for retrieving doi details and such.
> It just seemed excessive.
>
> In fact, I'd quite like to find a way to absorb (or kill) the bouncing
> progress dialogue for the lookup, just to avoid having windows that I
> shouldn't have to care about pop up continually.

Yup, I agree.  The "adding documents" dialog should really have one
progress bar for the n/N documents progress, and another one for the
reading the pdf and getting the metadata of each document.  While
writing the current code, this didn't happen, since it was a awkward to
do while keeping all the metadata magic confined in Document and BibData
rather than contaminating the UI code with it.  I guess really it's a
sign that the OO-interpretation of what's going on here might need
re-thinking a bit.  I'd certainly be interested in hearing how you'd go
about doing this in a reasonably clean way.

John