Experience when using referencer for large libraries

Claudius Wilhelms ClaudiusWilhelms at gmx.de
Thu Mar 15 12:54:29 EDT 2007

Hi John,

after being isolated from internet for three weeks, I can report now my experiences with the use of referencer for my quite big and various collection of literature.

Referencer is working quite good. When importing 1000+ files "at one click", it crashed a few times, but I think that is a unusual special case.
I'm _VERY_HAPPY_ with referencer, but I quickly realised that for organising whole libraries, two additional features would be great:

1.)
mass-editing of bibtex fields
Inspired from these nifty ID3-tag renaming tools for mp3s, I would highly appreciate such a function for bibtex editing as well.
For example, I came back from a polymer conference with 20 presentations that were held there on my laptop.
I added the universal tag "polymer" for these documents easily. But How can I separate them from my other polymer-related documents ? I can use proposal 2 (see below), but even nicer would be to edit some bibtex fields for these files at once, e.g. to put in the name of the conference, the date and the type of paper.

2.) Multiple instances of tags
This can be found in f-spot and allows you to realize a nice tag-structure easily.

Regards,

Claudius