Thumbnails for non-PDF files

Joachim Sauer saua at gmx.net
Sat Jun 2 06:06:13 EDT 2007

Hy,

every now and then I've got some source that I'm citing that's not a PDF
file (some W3C standards for example). In this case I usually save a
local copy of it (usually a HTML file) and use this as the file in
referencer. This works just nice, opening it uses Firefox.

The only little glitch is with thumbnails. If there is already a working
thumbnail cached[1] (for example because I've been to the directory using
nautilus) then I get it displayed perfectly. But when no thumbnail is
found then referencer tries to create one using "application/pdf" as the
MIME-type. This (of course) fails and creates a "failed" thumbnail, so
even if I use nautilus after that to view the directory containing that
file I won't get a thumbnail until I remove ~/.thumbnails/failed.

Would it be possible to include a little basic logic to guess the mime
type? Or could the one built into Gnome be used for this (unless it
generates another dependency, which I don't think it's worth it).

regards
Joachim Sauer

[1] Gnome doesn't create thumbnails for HTML pages per default. But
there's a little tool called gnome-web-photo. After it's installed even
HTML pages get thumgnails.