[quake3] new binaries and new mirrors

Dirk noisyb at gmx.net
Mon May 5 23:47:26 EDT 2008

Patrick Baggett wrote:
> The old code doesn't build on SGI IRIX, (and probably a few other platforms
> like Mac OS X, perhaps some BSDs) and that matters to me.

That's all right. I suggested to make the original id tech 3 mouse input
code optional at compile time. The new SDL code could remain the default.

 > If SDL's mouse
> movement is the problem, the solution is to fix SDL, not IOQuake3. That
> would benefit a large variety of applications depending on SDL for mouse
> input.

The original id tech 3 code were wrappers around the Linux/X11 API to
read input from the mouse... and around the Windows API to read input
from the mouse... It wasn't much code and it worked... for years...

The switch to libSDL made the life for developers easier because instead
of maintaining two wrappers for the Linux/X11 API and for the Windows
API they need to maintain now only a single wrapper for libSDL... and
libSDL itself does now wrap the different API's of Linux/X11, Windows,
etc. into SDL functions... which is great... they have outsourced the
mouse input to libSDL that way and need to take care only of the SDL API
in future...

But the problem is that the libSDL wrappers are different than the
original id tech 3 one's... and players notice that... and what's the
point of maintaining a game engine the players don't like?

> What would be constructive would be for you to create a test case using SDL
> that shows the problem and then work with the libSDL people to fix it. What
> you are promoting is a temporary solution, a workaround, but it doesn't
> target the core problem.
>
> Patrick Baggett

I don't think that problems with ioq3 should be fixed in SDL.