[quake3] semi automatic installer builds

Zachary Slater zakk at timedoctor.org
Sun Mar 30 06:00:29 EDT 2008

Ludwig Nussel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since the ioquake3 web site always offers rotten builds and users
> keep asking ...

Yes. I'd like to fix this through a cronjob that gets automated builds
from somewhere.

> I've uploaded the installers to
> ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/lnussel/ioquake3 for now and intend to
> update them every now and then.

This is very cool, I recall the last time I checked this out the exe's
were stuck into RPMs.

> The Windows installer probably needs some love to make it look
> better, volunteers?

I'll check out the latest one in a minute after I reboot.

> Things I know zakk doesn't like:
> - the installers are engine only so you need to install baseq3
>   manually. The data files never change anyways so IMO a separate
>   installer that installs them as sub component of ioquake3 is the
>   solution here (same for "standalone" mods).

I like how the windows pidgin installer (optionally) downloads aspell,
then a dictionary, etc and puts it all together nicely. It'd be good to
have something similar for baseq3, patch data, and a few other moddy
choices for fun.

Eventually I'd like to have a simple bare minimum (GPL'd) test chamber
map, character, menu, etc included. This would probably be good just for
people who want to start from something besides scratch without having
to purchase the game or use OpenArena (the baby/momma drama of which I'd
like to avoid)

> - there are separate installers for i386 and x86_64. The build
>   service cannot combine packages from different architectures.

That is weird.

> - there are no ppc packages

Can't really care about this.

> So, that's it from my side. Any feedback whether this service is
> useful and is worth continuing or whether I should better
> concentrate on things I'm actually paid for is welcome ;-)

Yes to working on this more.

First person to write me a nice SAFE cronjob to mirror these to
ioquake3.org wins cuddles from Timbo.

> cu
> Ludwig

Thank you, Ludwig.