semi automatic installer builds

Ludwig Nussel ludwig.nussel at suse.de
Fri Mar 28 11:10:50 EDT 2008

Hi,

Since the ioquake3 web site always offers rotten builds and users
keep asking ...
The openSUSE build service also builds loki-setup based installers
for Linux and an NSIS based one for Windows since some time. They
are produced as some kind of by-product of the regular rpm build so
there is little manual intervention required unless someone breaks
the scripts in SVN. All I need to do is to upload a new tarball
snapshot of ioquake3, fix the version number in the .spec file, wait
for everything to successfully build, download the rpms and extract
the installers with a script. The scripts can be found in
home:lnussel:win32/ioquake3 in the build service for those
interested. I've uploaded the installers to
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/lnussel/ioquake3 for now and intend to
update them every now and then.

The Windows installer probably needs some love to make it look
better, volunteers?

Things I know zakk doesn't like:
- the installers are engine only so you need to install baseq3
  manually. The data files never change anyways so IMO a separate
  installer that installs them as sub component of ioquake3 is the
  solution here (same for "standalone" mods).
- there are separate installers for i386 and x86_64. The build
  service cannot combine packages from different architectures.
- there are no ppc packages as the build service still does not
  offer ppc support (it has been promised for ages that support will
  be added). Well, I wonder how many non-geeks (ie those who want
  installers) use ppc Linux anyways.

So, that's it from my side. Any feedback whether this service is
useful and is worth continuing or whether I should better
concentrate on things I'm actually paid for is welcome ;-)

cu
Ludwig

--
 (o_   Ludwig Nussel