[quake3] Quake 3 Raytracing Patch

Thilo Schulz arny at ats.s.bawue.de
Thu Mar 6 21:02:35 EST 2008

On Donnerstag, 6. März 2008, Stephan Reiter wrote:
> Some screenshot goodness:
> http://picasaweb.google.de/stephan.reiter/IoQuake3Raytraced
>
> Looking forward to hearing from the brave that try this, :-)
> Stephan

I managed to compile your code and tested it on my system of course. Know
also, apart from the not completely applyable part, that the patch applied
without any conflicts at all against my EliteForce stuff.

A few things I noticed: the Quake3 game assets are a bit older than
EliteForce's, and thus standard quake3 offers fewer opportunities to show off
the raytracing stuff.
A few textures seem to be garbled. E.g. the shadow of the player is a garbled
rectangular on the floor, but you know that already I guess.
And finally the lighting is of course very different and sometimes not what
you would expect. Considering that quake3 was never meant to be raytraced
this is understandable.

It runs on my Athlon 64 3200 with about 2-3 fps at a resolution of 800x600 :)

As your videos were pretty small and not as much could be seen on them I
created a video with larger resolution, encoded using the ffmpeg h.264 codec.
Mplayer or VLC should play it alright.
Here's the link:

http://thilo.tjps.eu/download/raytracing2.avi

I rendered this at a resolution of 1024x768 using ioquake3's built-in video
recorder. Average framerate was about 1 fps :)

--
Thilo Schulz