[quake3] Elite Force Raytraced

Thilo Schulz arny at ats.s.bawue.de
Tue Mar 4 15:37:35 EST 2008

On Dienstag, 4. März 2008, Stephan Reiter wrote:
> I actually don't believe you, because you did a fabulous job with that
> patch. But on the other hand, not everybody is into raytracing. I wasn't
> until about two years ago, so ...

You can believe me - most of the changes did not have anything to do with the
renderer at all. It was actually more a browsing through the code with the
debugger and see how things work, how they had to be changed so it works with
EliteForce.

> But I have to be honest: I don't think that raytracing will replace
> rasterization anytime soon. As long as rasterization can deliver the great
> illusions we see in recent AAA games, there's no need for accurate
> simulations of light transport. Faking reflections/refrections/etc. will be
> fine for the average gamer. It's an interesting field to do research in
> though. :-)

Yes, I'd like to do research on a similar problem: Auralisation, meaning:
calculating impulse responses for sounds in rooms with some type geometry. I
just need to get my lazy ass up and start leaning the stuff behind it.

> And indeed, EF is still fun to play! I used to work on a coop-mod for EF,
> but with the release of the single player source code it kinda lost its
> appeal. ;-)

Oh yes, I remember the coop mod. I was an active news admin at
www.hazardteam.de back then and covered that story frequently.

--
Thilo Schulz