[quake3] [Patch] Hitch Warnings with time and date

Dirk noisyb at gmx.net
Fri Feb 29 05:03:51 EST 2008

Ludwig Nussel wrote:
> Dirk wrote:
>> This has proven useful for VPS owners like me...
>
> What's a VPS?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_server

The problem is that because these servers, which can be rented at lower
prices than normal, "real" servers, share their memory and have no own
harddrive (the hd array is in another server)... This can lead to
bottlenecks and the time (and date!) beside the "Hitch Warning" is
useful for debugging these problems together with the host... or just
for realizing that some cronjob causes too much hd traffic or a process
eats too much cpu...

> Why is the current date useful only at the hitch warning?

Well... I would like to have current date everywhere ("InitGame:" would
be cool) but I guess that could/would break compatibility with high
scores that are generated by parsing the log files instead of using a
rcon connection...

> The patch changes tabs to spaces so is not applicable.
>
>> +                        p = strchr (buffer, 0);
>> +                        if (p)
>
> Weird way to to strip the newline. Use strlen() or search for '\n'.

i wasn't thinking when i wrote that...

Dirk