[quake3] toggleconsole everywhere

Dominic Fandrey kamikaze at bsdforen.de
Thu Feb 28 11:33:21 EST 2008

Tony J. White wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 04:57:17PM +0100, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
>>> To counter this change we have added an built-in key sequence to
>>> control toggleConsole: Shift-Esc.  This also has the added benefit
>>> of being a lot easier to explain to people than saying "whatever key
>>> is up in the top left area of the keys but not the very top row and
>>> if your keyboard is like mine it is a "*console closes*
>> It doesn't do this for me at all! Shift-Esc reset all my key bindings to
>> the default (yay for backups). The ~ doesn't seem to be recognized by the
>> game. Probably because I use a German keyboard and have to press AltGr-+ to
>> print it.
>
> I really don't see how Shift-Esc could unbind all of your keys.  Are
> you sure you didn't do something else to cause this?

You're right, not the Shift-Esc key combination, but starting a dedicated
server reset all my key bindings. I put them into my autoexec.cfg, now. But I
think this qualifies as a bug.

> Shift-Esc was added as a hardcoded bind for toggleConsole in February 2007
> (svn 1044).  Are you using a current ioq3 version?
>
> -Tony

According to my package management I'm using ioquake3-1.34.r3_4. Some more
testing reveals that I can close the console using Shift-Esc. The console will
close and the menu will be openend (probably because Esc is bound to the menu.
I don't think key bindings recognize combined keys). However, I cannot use
Shift-Esc to open the console, no matter weather I'm in the menu or in a match.