[quake3] demos in spectator mode?

monk at rq3.com monk at rq3.com
Thu Feb 28 10:24:25 EST 2008

> I'd love to be able to watch demos in spectator mode. With different
> perspectives, free look and the ability to switch between the players I'm
> watching. Add a slow motion and a forward/backward function and it would
> become extremely useful to find flaws in ones game play or simply revisit
> nice killing spree in all its g(l)ory.

I don't think this is possible without rewriting the networking
model/stream, which I think the demo file is just a dump of.

CPMA has something called MVD, like multi-view demo, I think.  I don't
know for certain because it's been forever since I've read up on it, but
it captures all the player streams at the same time, kind of like Q2's old
"serverdemo" command.  I think only a server can capture this, since Q3
doesn't send everything to all players at the same time?

There was some opensores work with OpenDemo: http://machinima.com/opendemo/

However, that seems dead dead dead.  I see mention of some other recamming
tools:

http://www.rq3.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=23536

That might give you a start on a solution that would be useful with the
current state of Q3.

This issue has been brought up before and I think the reception was kind
of lukewarm with interest.  I believe some were slightly interested
whenever CPMA opened their source so they could just port it, but didn't
really want to create something from the ground up, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, hope the info is useful to ya.

Monk.