[quake3] iPhone

monk at rq3.com monk at rq3.com
Wed Apr 23 19:48:13 EDT 2008

> Quake 3 has already been ported to iPhone..
>
> http://gizmodo.com/376536/quake-3-arena-ported-to-iphone-let-the-networked-games-commence

I think they used ioq3 for that, actually, not the closed quake 3 license.
 Some of the blokes who did it actually posted to this mailing list a week
or two ago.  Which is applicable to the next point...

>>>I think the official apple SDK  might be incompatible with ioquake3's
> GPLv2 license.
>
> Doesn't matter, ioQuake3 still follows the original Quake 3 GPL License.
> ioQuake 3 can't impose something else on top so if you can legally do it
> for
> Quake 3 and Apple SDK, you can do it with ioQuake 3 as well although Quake
> 3
> would be a better choice to start with.

I believe the GPL'ed Quake 3 code uses GPLv2.  While you might have a
point if id or an id licensee of Quake 3 did that port, it was an ioq3
port covered under GPL.  So it's not a case of people here trying to
impose GPL onto a licensed closed-source Q3 port to the iPhone.  It was
built from the GPL source specifically.

> I am NOT a troll. What you all do now with ioQuake3 has just been done Q3
> over the past 8 years.

Those two sentences seem contradictory.  You claim you're not trolling
then seem to want to bait people?  I haven't seen too many Q3-based games
that run natively on SGI boxes except for ones built off of the ioq3
source, as an example.  And there are many games that used the licensed Q3
engine that did things that ioq3 doesn't yet do, i.e. the scripting and
environmental effects in RtCW and Enemy Territory come to mind offhand.

I think that statement is inaccurate in a number of ways.  While true that
other Q3 GPL implementations have done things that ioq3 hasn't (XreaL,
that .NET port, etc.), I think that's common knowledge?  Have there been
many licensed Q3 products that control movement through an accelerometer?
It might be trivial, sure, but I can't think of any offhand.  There might
be some Q3 GPL-based projects that do that, but I don't know of any of
those, either.

That's not Carmack in the video you linked to.  It's Scott.  And his hair
is not nearly as beautiful as Carmack's used to be!

Monk.