[quake3] Re: ioUrT licensing controversy (was Re: Greetings)

monk at rq3.com monk at rq3.com
Tue Apr 22 18:08:41 EDT 2008

> From the FAQ URL:
>
> "If the modules are included in the same executable file, they are
> definitely combined in one program. If modules are designed to run
> linked together in a shared address space, that almost surely means
> combining them into one program."
>
> Once loaded, the mod becomes part of the q3 executable. Some will argue
> that the Quake virtual machine is somehow not "true" linking and thus
> doesn't qualify, but I disagree with that.

Ok, now THAT I understand.  I don't believe "aggregation" is the proper
term for what y'all believe to be in violation.  You are contending that
the UrT mod is a (heh) module combined with ioUrT into one program.

So even if someone gets the current version of ioq3 and their mod and puts
them in one ZIP, without customizing ioq3, you're going to feel that it's
in violation of the Q3 mod sdk license due to "intent".  But not
necessarily in violation of the GPL.  Is that correct?

I still think of Oswald as the one-time head of the "Action Quake Map
Depot" for the Action Quake 2 mod.  I think he might live in Texas which
might explain his views on Mexicans.

Monk.