[quake3] Re: ioUrT licensing controversy (was Re: Greetings)

monk at rq3.com monk at rq3.com
Mon Apr 21 14:28:29 EDT 2008

> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:17:55 +0200 Erik wrote:
>> Distributing 2 separate products together does not make it a single
>> product. See the 'aggregation' posts for more details. ioUrbanTerror
>> and Urban Terror are SEPARATE products, distributed together in an
>> aggregation.
>
> Then you haven't understood aggregation.

Nor have I, I think:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.html#MereAggregation

From: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html

The text right above section 3 (last part of 2c?) and the FAQ link talks
about mere aggregation and defines mere aggregation to be separate from
combining two modules into one program.

The license and the FAQ does not get into any more detail about different
types of "aggregation" besides what I linked to.

Perhaps you've got a mistaken understanding of aggregation as defined in
GPL 2.0?  Any links to clarify would be handy.  Please, though, don't
point to any GPL 3.0 information as that doesn't apply to the Q3 GPL
license, I think.  That's why I'm specifically digging through the gpl-2.0
docs instead of the generic GPL docs on the gnu.org site.

I also don't see anything specific about "intent" as you had brought up
earlier, though I admit I might have missed it.

Monk.