[quake3] [RE][quake3] How far can SGI MIPS, Sun SPARC, and LinuxPPC go?

vincent at cojot.name vincent at cojot.name
Mon Apr 21 03:51:47 EDT 2008

Hi Darran,

Thanks for the report. It's great to hear. About the 'gmkdir' issue, I
think you will only get 'gmkdir' if you install the GNU SFW fileutils
package which installs under /usr/sfw and gives you all GNU comands
prefixed by 'g' (gtar, grm, gcp, etc..). I'm not using SXDE, just plain
Solaris 10 (Update 4, aka 08/07). That's just a quick hack anyway so I'll
try to see what I can do to fix it in a more 'portable' manner.

As for the GLX/SDL issue, I don't think this used to happen with ioquake3
on Solaris until linux_glimp.c was merged with sdl_glimp.c, thus making
SDL the only way to gain access to GLX graphics. I hadn't even noticed
that consequence. Before that, ioq3 only used SDL for sound. IMHO, SUN
will never provide a libSDL that includes GLX routines because GLX is
optional and vendor-provided on x86 (not on SPARC anymore, though). I
think the only way to solve that is that I could provide a statically
linked inside the ioquake3 binary, just like what I did for ioquake2
(http://www.icculus.org/quake2). How would that be?

Many thanks again for the report,

Vincent