[quake3] Supported protocols

LinuxManMikeC linuxmanmikec at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 10:52:02 EDT 2008

Unless he's worked with a Licensed copy of the 1.17 source, Chris has
only the SDK to compare to.  There is still the rest of the engine
where changes could have been made that affect the protocol.  One
obvious change I could point out is when they released Team Arena.
Before that it was bug fixes.

Stephan, just letting the changes in the protocol allow a session to
blow up is very bad software design.  There is no guarantee it will
blow up immediately upon encounter of a discrepancy.  It would
probably keep going for a while with corrupted data and then fail with
no explanation, all while ruining the game for everyone else.  With
the version identifier, you have something to test for.  I wouldn't
expect id to be incrementing protocol versions without good reason.
One reason I can think of (and agree with) for incrementing the
version without obvious changes to the protocol is to push critical
bug fixes on the users.  Users don't often think or care about bug
fixes, so make them care.

Mike