[quake3] Re: Greetings

Erik K. erik at insectenboek.nl
Thu Apr 17 11:07:24 EDT 2008

Hi, my nickname is 'woekele'. I used to be on the UrT dev team and part
of what I did was maintaining ioUrbanTerror (the GPL engine). For Urban
Terror (the sdk mod), I worked on the menus and some other random things.

First I'd like you all to read
http://ioquake3.org/2007/12/23/urban-terror-41/#comment-69 and the
"License Stuff" section of
http://www.urbanterror.net/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.5

I see Tim is giving his usual speech again :)

On 17-4-2008 16:28, Tim Angus wrote:
> ioUrT depends on UrT as this is its BASEGAME.

WRONG. Being BASEGAME != depending on. It can run any other mod no
problem at all by just setting the appropriate fs_game. *So there's no
GPL violation by ioUrbanTerror.*

> Furthermore, said Q3 mod SDK license states that any distributed works
> are for use with "QUAKE III ARENA" only. By inference this means not
> ioq3. Therefore it violates the Q3 mod SDK license.

It actually says that you can use the sdk to CREATE mods for operation
with Q3A only, it doesn't say the mods are for USAGE with Q3A only.
Pretty important difference. Urban Terror (the mod) WAS created for Q3A
and still works fine on it. It just HAPPENS to run on GPL Q3-engines
too. And nothing forbids that. The UrT team even asked IDsoftware
directly to make sure they were doing nothing wrong and IDsoftware gave
them the okay. *So no SDK violation either.*

> If they were distribtuing UrT and ioUrT as separate entities, they
> probably could get away with it (although the ioUrT dependency on UrT is
> still potentially an issue).

They ARE separate products, they are just bundled in one zip/installer
for convenience.

Anyway, as you could read in the first link I gave: "I think the Urban
Terror mod code should go GPL, cause the coder for Urban Terror barely
has time to work on it anyway. Also it would avoid all this legal
hassle. It would be a great form of respect towards IDsoftware and
ioquake3 coders, who also made their work (the base of Urban Terror’s
success) available. And of course to be a REAL stand-alone game. The
assets/copyright/whatever could still stay with the Urban Terror team.
So yeah, enough reasons to GPL the mod code. However, legally not required."

PS: I am now retired from Urban Terror, so I couldn't really care less
about all this, but I just can't stand it when I see wrong information
being passed on.