[quake3] Greetings

Scott Brooks scott at hermitworksentertainment.com
Wed Apr 16 21:14:36 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 16 April 2008 6:40:21 pm Christopher Bunting wrote:
> Hello,
>
> You are correct. *If you abide by the GPL terms, *is the part I was talking
> about. I was under the assumption that abiding by the GPL meant that you
> had to offer all of your code modifications to the public for free in
> exchange for using the engine for free. As an example, Urban Terror only
> offers the base Ioquake3 code in SVN to the public. But that SVN code
> doesn't contain any of thier code modifications. They don't release their
> modified code back to the public nor does any of the other mods. NSCO and a
> few others, as listed here, http://synapse.vgfort.com/quake3.php are the
> only ones to my knowlegde that had actually followed the GPL.
>
> Maybe things have changed. But as I mentioned, I was told that any Closed
> Source game / Mod distributed on Q3 source code required some type of
> licensing.
>
> *EG from your reply:*
> "For teams that don't want to operate under the GPL, we're now offering a
> "non-GPL" QUAKE engine license for a flat fee of $10,000 per title [3]
> with no backend royalty whatsoever.
>
> I thought that meant a $10,000 license for Closed Source Versions like
> Urban Terror ECT. Their standalone version of thier game IS closed source.
>
> When did this change?
>
> Chris

I assume that they are keeping their "mod"(cgame, game, ui) code under the
original quake 3 mod license which is pretty much a non commercial license
from what I remember, then using ioquake3 to load their qvm's.

They would need to release their changes to the ioquake3 engine itself though
if they wanted to abide by that license.

I just checked their FAQ at
http://www.urbanterror.net/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.5
and all of this is described in the Licence Stuff section.

--
Scott Brooks
Programmer