[quake3] Greetings

Christopher Bunting cbunting99 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 20:40:21 EDT 2008

Hello,

You are correct. *If you abide by the GPL terms, *is the part I was talking
about. I was under the assumption that abiding by the GPL meant that you had
to offer all of your code modifications to the public for free in exchange
for using the engine for free. As an example, Urban Terror only offers the
base Ioquake3 code in SVN to the public. But that SVN code doesn't contain
any of thier code modifications. They don't release their modified code back
to the public nor does any of the other mods. NSCO and a few others, as
listed here, http://synapse.vgfort.com/quake3.php are the only ones to my
knowlegde that had actually followed the GPL.

Maybe things have changed. But as I mentioned, I was told that any Closed
Source game / Mod distributed on Q3 source code required some type of
licensing.

*EG from your reply:*
"For teams that don't want to operate under the GPL, we're now offering a
"non-GPL" QUAKE engine license for a flat fee of $10,000 per title [3]
with no backend royalty whatsoever.

I thought that meant a $10,000 license for Closed Source Versions like Urban
Terror ECT. Their standalone version of thier game IS closed source.

When did this change?

Chris