IPv6 support finished.

Thilo Schulz arny at ats.s.bawue.de
Sat Apr 12 13:43:33 EDT 2008

Hello,

I have now finished the last two parts required in my quest for ipv6 support,
so we're ready to announce that support officially.

With finished I mean:
1. Connecting and playing to a server via ipv6 works.
2. Scanning for ipv6 servers on the local subnet works, even for non-ipv6
aware mods works (though non-ipv6 aware mods will report ipv6 servers as IPX
instead of UPD6)
3. Master server querying for ipv6 servers is now possible. There is no master
server written yet to support it. Maybe someone can hit the dpmaster
developer to do this. The relevant sections in ioquake3 are:

code/client/cl_main.c: CL_ServersResponsePacket

The delimiter token to indicate an ipv6 address was changed to / instead of \

4. The way master server querying works has been modified. Instead of the
mplayer querying (which does not seem to be used anywhere anymore), I have
made it such that the client can query all 5 different master servers given
in the 5 sv_master* cvars. I also modified the game code to make cycling
possible. Don't worry, this should not break compatibility at all, I tested
it with vanilla quake3 and team arena.

5. I added a few new engine-side banning functions so that ipv6 users cannot
evade bans on old mods that only support v4 (engine side because this is the
only way to properly do this in this case for old mods). This newer banning
system should also be much more robust than the one delivered with the
gamecode.

The new v6 options as well as new banning functions are documented in the
README.

Although I tested all additions I made more or less thoroughly and I am
confident that the code I added is pretty solid, feel free to give all the
new functionality I added a try and don't hesitate to report in with bugs.

--
Thilo Schulz