Rendering System.. Was Re: How far can SGI MIPS, Sun SPARC, and LinuxPPC go?

Chris Bunting cbunting99 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 16:34:47 EDT 2008

Hello,

The talks about a plugin rendering system is the main reason why I've
mentioned a C++ port. If supporting varied plugin renderers were possible
with C, we would already have an OpenGL base renderer, OpenGL supporting
shader 2.0/3.0 and then a DX 8/9/10 renderers.. But it's not worth the
trouble for a C based engine.

If you are really familier with the Q3 codebase, it takes maybe 60 minutes
to rip out all of the bot/ai code. It's takes less than 30 minutes to remove
the small bits of network code. Network code is easlily replaced with
Rakknet or OpenTNL (GarageGames). But then, with the network code and bot
code removed, the rest of the code is based around OpenGL and all of the
hard coding. Most of the Q3 engine is full of opengl calls. The reason I
mentioned Hord3e is because it's extremely small, offers all of the same
rendering power and more if you want to use the built in pipelines and such.
There is also a linux build of Horde3D and also and SDL conversion for
linux.

There are a lot of options but a plugin rendering system with c instead of
C++ / Classes / Real plugin support is just going to make it hard. For every
good idea there is a big drawback it would seem. There are a few commercial
engines I like but they just cost way to much for a personal project of
sorts.

It seems there are a lot of people with older systems. So I don't know what
type of features they can actually support. If I was going to start over
again, I would replicate only a couple of Doom3 style features mainly based
around a shader system as this would help give Q3 the rendering results
simular to COD4. Xreal and Evolution both have a simular shader
implementaion. But the Quake 2 engine, A branch of Quake 2 Evolved called
OverDose has a small, clean Doom 3 style shader system,
http://q2e.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/q2e/OverDose/code/OverDose/renderer/r_shader.cpp?revision=228&view=markup

Some sort of shader support is really the only thing that Ioq3 seems to be
missing. You can do a lot with shaders as there is code for just about
everything if your OS supports it. Otherwise, you just default back to the
base renderer if your card/driver doesn't support it's features just like
stock q3 does.

Chris