[quake3] How far can SGI MIPS, Sun SPARC, and LinuxPPC go?

Zachary Slater zakk at timedoctor.org
Thu Apr 10 08:06:33 EDT 2008

vincent at cojot.name wrote:

>     I'm biased but I admit that since there are some many Q3 projects
> out there with more eye-candy, I'd rather let them have the eye-candy
> and let ioq3 remain a stable/compatible/portable/secure Q3 version. In
> its time that's what ioq2 did and I thought that ioq3 would go the same
> way.

Stability. Compatibility. Portability. Security. Scalability.
This is pretty much my current idea of how I want priorities ordered.

>     I'm not a game coder (not even a pro coder at all)

Vincent S. Cojot, PRO SPARC Coder!

I only want graphics when they can be scaled down to suit the platform.
If there is one thing I learned from openarena, it is the importance of
scalable graphics to keeping players.

An old coworker of mine used to play OpenArena and Urban Terror every
day. He liked both, but openarena ran better on his shitty laptop. Urban
Terror caused it to overheat regularly (this is also why I buy macs if I
can..)

Eventually, he ended up putting his LAPTOP IN THE FREEZER before he
played UrT...

>     When I ported TGE (The engine behind the Dynamix 'Tribes2' game,
> more recent that q3) to Solaris (Sparc and x86), it proved to be quite a

I miss Tribes 2's default CTF gameplay.

>     I'm not on the ioq3 voting review board

Yes, you are.

> so I don't get a chance to
> influence the course of the newer features into the engine but I'd
> rather let the other Q3 projects have the 'incompatible' features and
> come to ioq3 for security fixes/portability, etc...
>
> My 2c,

Mostly agree, though I don't want to stagnate everything for the sake of
sheer lazyness with coming up with creative solutions to scalability.
--
- Zachary J. Slater
zakk at timedoctor.org
zacharyslater at gmail.com