[quake3] Greetings XreaL

monk at rq3.com monk at rq3.com
Wed Apr 9 18:45:34 EDT 2008

> I would like to clearify a few things about XreaL because many people
> complain about the incompatibility with existing mods assets:

I'm sorry for singling you out, but I don't know any other Q3-based engine
forks that add all the bells and whistles offhand.  And I fully understand
why you dropped support for the old assets--you basically ripped out the
guts of the rendering system and threw something far more advanced in!

Same reason I understand why there aren't any .NET ports of Q3 working on
anything besides Windows.

Again, I don't want you to feel like I'm pickin' on XreaL (even though I
am), I'm mainly lamenting that any project that adds more bells and
whistles seems to break existing asset compatibility.

It's the whole "have your cake and eat it too" thing going on.  :)

Monk.