[quake3] cl_guid = unknown

Tony J. White tjw at webteam.net
Wed Apr 9 12:25:46 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 09:39:23AM -0300, [dt.Sl4cK*] - [Developers Team] wrote:
> Can anyone explain me because a user who showed the cl_guid usually from
> one day to another day began to appear as a cl_guid unknown on log.
>
> What is the reason, or which can generate this guid as unknown?

That used to be the default guid value prior to Feb 12, 2007.

http://svn.icculus.org/quake3/trunk/code/qcommon/md5.c?r1=1041&r2=1040&pathrev=1041

"unknown" was set as the guid when the client could not read the qkey file
(e.g. if qkey could not be created because of permissions problems).

With a modern build, the guid would just be a blank string in this case
just like a id q3 client with pb disabled.

-Tony